How to check the status of HELB loan
This is a step-by-step guide on how to find out if your HELB loan application has been approved and disbursed successfully by visiting the HELB website.
On January 13, the Higher Education Loans Board received hundreds of queries from students who were blocked out of its application as they attempted to obtain a verification code to allow them to verify the status of their loans.
“Has your HELB app blocked you after multiple attempts to get the verification code? Don’t worry, wait at least 30 minutes for the app to unblock before trying again,” the Loans Commission tweeted.
HELB also pointed out that the HELB installment submission deadline is the 15th of each month and asked new employers to register on the HELB Employer Portal.
HELB Contact Center File Image
The Loan Board also offers Jielimishe loan to employed students pursuing vocational courses, higher national diploma, bachelor’s degree, postgraduate degree, master’s degree or doctorate in Kenya.
Here’s how to create a HELB account
- Visit the Higher Education Loans Board portal website www.helb.co.ke.
- Click on Products
- Scroll down to the HELB Loans section
- Select one of them. They will lead you to the student portal
- “Undergraduate loan” if you are a direct entry student
- Jielimishe loan if you are a student with a salary
- TVET loan for technical and vocational education students
- Scroll down and click “Apply Now”
- Hover over the drop-down icon next to “user registration” Select candidate registration as a student and employer registration if you are an employer.
Here you will get a new account creation page. From there, all you need to do is provide your national credentials.
Then provide other details like email address, then validate and confirm your registration
HELB portal registration interface.
- Go to your email and locate the HELB account email.
- Click on the link provided and start the activation process
- Once you get the code enter it and hit Continue
- This will create a HELB portal account to help you apply for other products.
Government-sponsored students and Self-Funded Students (SSP) can access government funding to facilitate their placement programs. This regardless of the institution in which they are located.
Here’s how to check the status of your HELB loan
Do you want to check the status of your loan, your HELB declaration or your certificate of compliance? You can do this using the HELB mobile app or the HELB portal.
- Go to your browser and visit the HELB website www.helb.co.ke
- On the menu items of the page, click on the student portal (You must be registered)
- Log in using your details
- Click on “loan status”
- Click on “Disbursement” a form indicating the disbursement status of your loan will appear
- You can check the allocated amount and the disbursement date
- You can also check with the bank you used the first time when you signed up for HELB. Students with a HELB smart card can also use it to check the status of their loan disbursements.
Alternatively, students can also check the disbursement status of their HELB loan via the HELB code USSD: * 642 #
- On your mobile phone, dial * 642 #
- Select and click on the connection option
- Choose loan request and disbursement
- Select loan disbursement
- You will receive an SMS regarding the disbursement status of your loan.
You can also contact HELB for any assistance via:
Kenyans waiting for service in Helb’s offices.